The Secession Solution
January 2, 2011
by Kirkpatrick Sale,
Aristotle declared that there should be a limit to the size of states. But really, what did he know? He lived at a time when the entire population of the world was somewhere around 50 million—about the size of England today. Athens, where he lived, would have been under 100,000 people. He couldn’t even imagine a world (ours) of 6.8 billion, or a city (Tokyo) of 36 million. How is he going to help us?
He, at least, knew this much:“Experience shows that a very populous city can rarely, if ever, be well governed; since all cities which have a reputation for good government have a limit of population. We may argue on grounds of reason, and the same result will follow: for law is order, and good law is good order; but a very great multitude cannot be orderly.”
So political units, Aristotle said, have to be limited. And it is with that understanding that we now may start contemplating what in today’s world would constitute the ideal, or optimum, size of a political state.
This is not some sort of idle philosopher’s quest but the foundation of a serious reordering of our political landscape, and a reordering such as the process of secession—indeed, only the process of secession—could provide. The U.S. provides abundant evidence that a state as large as 310 million people is ungovernable. One scholar recently said that we are in the fourth decade of the U.S. Congress’ inability to pass a single measure of social consequence. Bloated and corrupted beyond its ability to address any of the problems it has created as an empire, it is a blatant failure. So what could replace it, and at what size? The answer is the independent states of America.
Let us start by looking at modern nations to give us some clue as to population sizes that actually work.
Among the nations that are recognized models of statecraft, eight are below 500,000: Luxembourg, Malta, Iceland, Barbados, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, and San Marino.
Of the 14 states generally reckoned freest in the world, 9 have populations below Switzerland’s, at 7.7 million, and 11 below Sweden’s, at 9.3 million; the only sizable states are Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany (the largest, at 81 million).There are other national rankings. Literacy: Of the 46 countries that claim a literacy rate of 99 or better, 25 are below 7.5 million. Health: Measured by the World Health Organization, 9 of the top 20 are under 7 million. In 2009 rankings of happiness and standard of living, the top countries were Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Netherlands, Australia, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Canada, Ireland, Denmark, Austria, and Finland; all but Canada and Australia have small populations.
Enough of that. The point, I trust, is well and simply made. The figures seem to suggest that there is an optimum size of a successful state, somewhere in the range of 3 million to 5 million people.
Surprisingly, a great many countries are also modest in geographic terms—underlining the point, often missed by critics of secession, that a nation does not have to be self-sufficient to operate well in the modern world. In fact, there are 85 countries out of the 195 counted by the United Nations that are under 10,000 square miles—that is to say, the size of Vermont or smaller.
And if we measure economic strength by per capita GDP, small countries prove to be decidedly advantageous. Seventy-seven percent of the most prosperous countries are small. And most of them are quite small indeed: under 10,000 square miles.
Administrative, distribution, transportation, and similar transaction costs obviously rise, perhaps exponentially, as geographic size increases. Control and communication also become more difficult to manage over long distances, often to the point where central authority and governance become nearly impossible.
I propose that, out of these figures and even more so out of the history of the world, results a Law of Government Size, and it goes like this: Economic and social misery increase in direct proportion to the size and power of the central government of a nation.
The consolidation of nations into powerful empires leads not to shining periods of peace and prosperity and the advance of human betterment, but to increasing restriction, warfare, autocracy, crowding, immiseration, inequality, poverty, and starvation.
Small, then, is not only beautiful but also bountiful.
How does all of this apply to the United States today?
Dr. Ron Paul (R-TX): Secession is a Constitutional Principle
Of the 50 states, 29 have populations below 5 million people. Eight states and a colony in the 3 million to 5 million population class would be ideal secession candidates: Iowa, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Kentucky, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Alabama. Twelve—Rhode Island, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Maine, Idaho, Nebraska, West Virginia, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Kansas, and Arkansas—have between 1 million and 3 million people, and seven, including Vermont, have fewer than 1 million people but more than Iceland.
The argument for secession need not focus exclusively on population or geographic size—one might factor in cultural cohesion, developed infrastructure, historical identity—but that seems to be the sensible place to start in considering viable states. And since the experience of the world has shown that populations ranging from 3 million to 5 million are optimal for governance and efficiency, that is as good a measure as any to use to begin assessing secessionist potential and chances of success as independent states.
The only hope for re-energizing American politics is to create truly sovereign states through peaceful, popular, powerful secession.
Kirkpatrick Sale is director of the Middlebury Institute and the author of Human Scale.
» » » » [Chronicles Magazine, via White Locust]
'Boere-Volkstaat for African White Refugees' Petition to NATO Military Committee: Chiefs of Staff; c/o SHAPE & NATO Sec. General Anders Fogh Rasmussen
16 December 2010
'Boere-Volkstaat for African White Refugees' Petition to NATO Military Committee: Chiefs of Staff.
The African White Refugees Petition, from 34 Founding Petitioners to Europe; was submitted to the Belguim Offices of NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, c/o: Mr. Mark Laity, Chief of Strategic Communications, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE), on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 01:47:27 +0100.
SHAPE Public Affairs Office acknowledged receipt thereof on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 05:06:00 +0100
NATO Secretary General Mr. Rasmussen is requested to officially forward the Volkstaat Secession / Jus Sanguinis Petition and African White Refugees Briefing Paper to NATO Military Committee: Chiefs of Staff.
Petition: Boer Volkstaat for African White Refugees Petition
The Boer Volkstaat for African White Refugees Petition appeals for:[A] International and EU Political and Legal Recognition for Volksraad Verkiesing Kommissie (VVK) elections & negotiations for a Euro/Boere-Volkstaat in South Africa; or in the absence thereof;
[B] The legislative enactment of Jus Sanguinis Right-of-Return legislation by the relevant Progenitor/Stamvader EU Nations, for EU citizenship for African White Refugee descendants
Their Volkstaat Secession / Jus Sanguinis Right-of-Return Petition Justifications (evidentiary details provided in the African White Refugees Briefing Paper # 10/31/16), are:
- International Law: Jus Sanguinis, Right-of-Return, International Covenant on Civil, Political, Economic, Social & Cultural Rights, etc;
- S. 235 of the SA Constitution and the Accord on Afrikaner Self-Determination between the Freedom Front, the African National Congress and the South African Government/National Party (Encl. to Briefing Paper);
- African National Congress (ANC) / Anti-Apartheid Movement (AAM) / Truth and Reconciliation (TRC) Fraud.
- The geopolitical, national, ethnic and cultural importance of amicably resolving population pressures colliding with declining resources multi-cultural conflicts, prior to their friction theory on steroids aggravation by the socio-political and economic resource war consequences of Peak Oil.
Briefing Paper Justifications: Rainbow Illusions TRC Fraud: Politically Incorrect Truths About Apartheid & TRC
Why Whites Don't Want to Apologize for Apartheid
- The ANC's war against Apartheid was not legally a Just War, in accordance to International Just War legal principles; because the 'liberation struggle' had no just cause, was not a war of last resort, the ANC had no proper authority, no right intention, and did not use proportional force.
- The ANC's decision to forsake a commitment to Gandhian non-violence, spawned a Fanonstein Government of comrade tsotsi's, gangsters and kleptomaniacs
- The majority of poor blacks under apartheid, may have been unhappy with apartheid, but they did not want black rule
- As bad as apartheid may have allegedly been, Apartheid South Africa still provided poor black South Africans with the highest living standards on the continent of Africa
- The ANC's decisions to launch a violent liberation struggle were motivated by the ideas of Frantz Fanon, as enunciated in his Handbook of Black Liberation, that Violence was the cleansing force which liberated the African from his inferiority complex and restored his self-respect, on the "rotting corpse of the settler." This was a total repudiation of Gandhi's non-violence doctrine of self-respect by way of honour, honesty and non-violence.
- The ANC launched the People's War, to terrorize black Africans to support the liberation struggle, for it was well aware that poor blacks did not want black rule, and poor blacks were aware they had the highest living standards in Africa under Apartheid white rule
- The ANC's motives were not to 'liberate the African people', to the contrary; their intentions were to do exactly what they have been doing for the past 16 years: enrich themselves and their cronies at the expense of taxpayers and the people.
- The ANC and Anti-Apartheid movement actions towards Mbokodo's torture, execution and detention of ANC dissenting members at Camp Quatro simply proved that the ANC led Anti-Apartheid movement "was one of the largest and most successful Popular Front Lobby's for Stalinist fascism anywhere in the world."
- Ubuntu conformist culture is diametrically opposite of Western Descartian individualist culture, and consequently they are incompatible for a peaceful multi-cultural society
- The ANC's perspective towards reconciliation is based on Black Liberation Theology which believes that salvation/reconciliation is achieved by means of a violent Marxist class struggle; whereas Calvinist Protestantism views salvation as a matter of spiritual forgiveness, a change of perception and heart. The concepts of forgiveness and reconciliation are fundamentally different, but nowhere in any legal TRC social contract document is there any definition for which form of forgiveness the ANC are talking about. The ANC accused apartheid of maintaining legal oppression by means of vague definitions, but for the fundmantal key concepts of the TRC social contract, the ANC have provided no definitions whatsoever.
- The TRC totally ignored white SA's concerns about population policy issues in terms of "swart gevaar" motivations for establishing apartheid; including how population pressures aggravate socio-economic and psycho-political poverty and misery and consequently contribute to resource war conflicts
- Apartheid was not a crime against humanity, but a Just War for Boer-Afrikaner demographic survival; for it meets all the requirements for international just war principles: it was a just cause for demographic survival, a last resort, declared by proper authority and of right intention, etc.
- Apartheid's mistakes were that they should not have implemented apartheid to attempt to enable black African tribes to reach the stage of democracy; instead they should have focussed on a smaller area, where they were the demographic majority and seceded from South Africa to form a Volkstaat.
- The ANC's motivations with Land Grabs, and the concomitant Farm Murders prove that South Africa is not a land of Rainbow TRC Peace, but a Racial Hatred War reality; and that the TRC elite are in deliberate denial of reality.
- The ANC's government-sponsored population explosion and welfare production of poverty and misery is a recipe to breed cannon fodder and resource war violence; and is a result of African Masculine Insecurity complexes. Put simply the ANC derives its political power from welfare grant pimping ever more black Africans into poverty; while deflecting the blame for its poverty pimping resource war consequences upon the proverbial scapegoat of 'apartheid'. The poor are a commodity not only to ANC politicians, but Anti-Apartheid religious and political activists, from those with impressive Archbishop titles to the Poverty Pimping Professors who suck up the research grants to "support themselves and their cronies while they are studying, romanticizing or otherwise exploiting the [African] poor."
Briefing Paper Justifications: Peak Oil Political Necessity of Ethno-cultural Secession and Relocalisation
This argument concludes that multi-culturalism is impossible between conflicting cultures, and emphasises that the geopolitical, national, ethnic and cultural importance of amicably resolving population pressures colliding with declining resources multi-cultural conflicts, prior to their friction theory on steroids aggravation by the socio-political and economic resource war consequences of Peak Oil; cannot be overestimated or overstated; and is founded on the following points:
- African White Refugees are the Canaries in the International Ethno-Cultural Geopolitical Coalmine.
- Europe is committing Ethno-Cultural Suicide: Dr. Frank Ellis reviews Dr. Thilo Sarrazin's Germany Consigns itself to Oblivion
- Ethnicity is a basis for, rather than threat to, democracy and freedom; consequently if Europe's demographic decline is the motivation for its immigration policies, its democracy needs should motivate it to invite its blood relatives home from the Diaspora
- Multiculturalism is Impossible between hugely different cultures, and particularly between cultures with many diametrically opposed value and belief systems
- The 'socio-political and economic consequences of Peak Oil will be severe', warns numerous Military Energy reports, which include the "total collapse of the markets" and serious political and economic crises, which could threaten the continued survival of democratic governments. Put differently Peak Oil's consequences on among others transportation costs, the financial markets, and food production, would aggravate multi-cultural conflict to experience Friction Theory on Steroids.
- Parallel Goals: Economic Relocalisation & Political Secession, argues that the aforementioned Multi-cultural conflict Friction Theory on Steroids consequence of Overpopulation colliding with Scarce and Depleting - particularly Energy - Resources (Ecological Overshoot) can be hugely mitigated by strategically implementing the Parallel Goals of Economic Relocalisation and Ethno-Nationalist Political Secession. Relocalized states and communities can better plan for a world of Energy Depletion, by rebuilding more balanced local economies that emphasise local food, energy and water systems, for local political stability.
For all of these reasons, it is argued that International Legal and Political Support and Recognition should be given to Volksraad Verkiesing Kommissie (VVK) Election, to elect an Boer-Afrikaner People's Assembly (Volksraad). This Volksraad shall attain a mandate, to initiate the negotiations for a Boer-Afrikaner Volkstaat.
The Petition and Briefing Paper is being submitted to the following EU 'Progenitor/Stamvader' nations: Netherlands, France, Germany, United Kingdom and Switzerland, on respectively 05-06, 07-08, 09-10, 11-12, and 13-14 December, culminating on 15-16 December whereupon other NATO and other European Union Officials were notified, for the 'African White Refugee' record; of this Petition for International and EU Political and Legal Recognition for Volksraad Verkiesing Kommissie (VVK) elections & negotiations for a Euro/Boere-Volkstaat in South Africa.
Endorsements: Boer Volkstaat for African White Refugees Websites, Blogs and Facebook Groups Endorsements
The Boer Volkstaat for African White Refugees Briefing Paper is currently endorsed by 23 International and 53 South African Facebook Groups/Websites/Blogs.
The endorsements from Facebook group/pages had membership totals of 52,328: 902 (International groups/pages), and 51,426 (South African groups/pages), on 10 November 2010.
» » » » [Jus Sanguinis :: Briefing Paper :: Endorsements]
» » ['Boere-Volkstaat for African White Refugees' Petition delivered to Dutch Gov]
» » ['Boere-Volkstaat for African White Refugees' Petition delivered to French Gov]
» » ['Boere-Volkstaat for African White Refugees' Petition delivered to German Gov]
» » ['Boere-Volkstaat for African White Refugees' Petition delivered to British Gov]
» » ['Boere-Volkstaat for African White Refugees' Petition delivered to Swiss Gov]
» » ['Boere-Volkstaat for African White Refugees' Petition delivered to NATO]