02 February 2011
Ms. Nalini Gangen
Cape Law Society
ABSA Centre, 2 Riebeeck Street
Cape Town 8001
Tel: (021) 443 6700 | Fax: (021) 443 6751/2
Dear Ms. Gangen,
RE: Law Societies statement that Radical Honesty SA Amicus Application in RSA v. Dewani is ‘without substance or legal basis’
I write regarding your statements in SA citizen challenges Dewani extradition, The South African, 01-02-2011, wherein Rob Boffard states the following:Nalini Gangen, director of the Cape Law Society, says, however, that Ms Johnstone’s views are “without substance or legal basis”.
“There is no reason to doubt that Mr Dewani would receive a fair hearing. South Africa has one of the best constitutions in the world and the Constitution provides for the instruments of democracy to be protected. The Constitution provides for the separation of powers and in particular the independence of the judiciary.
“South African legal processes are clearly defined and any accused would have the freedom of choice of legal representation.
“We have confidence in our judiciary,” she added.
I’d appreciate it if you could please clarify the following issues for me:
- Which argument/s stated in the Radical Honesty SA Amicus Application in RSA v. Shrien Dewani is/are ‘without substance or legal basis’?
- If the legal reality is that there is reason to doubt that Mr. Dewani would receive a fair hearing in an Ubuntufied SA court of law; would you:
- lie and cover up that reality pretending it does not exist, in accordance with the South African legal, political and academic elite’s Edward Bernaysian Public Relations Protocols (Radical Honesty Guru Scott Ginsberg describes Bernaysian PR protocols as “the ever-rising tide of corporate and political bullshite” )
- tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, and support Mr. Dewani to receive a free and fair trial, in a British court of law where there is more certainty for him to receive a free and fair Descartian trial?
- What percentage of European, African, Indian and Coloured Cape Law Society Attorneys would be willing to provide Judge Riddle with written affidavits, swearing under oath that they have ‘confidence in the political, legal, ideological, intellectual, ethical and psychological independence and competence of SA’s Descartian judicial officials’?
- Do you think Carl Wille would sign such an affidavit?Is Hlophe fit to hold office?
Published in: Legalbrief Today
Date: Thu 11 October 2007
As a lawyer, I am tempted to engage in unemotional reasoning to reach a logical conclusion in this matter. I shall however refrain from doing so, as any such reasoning by a white South African regarding this extremely serious matter is likely to be attacked by my fellow black lawyers as being racist and in conflict with African values.
What I prefer to do is to appeal to my fellow black lawyers to seriously contemplate whether you think that Judge Hlophe is fit to hold office and whether he is the type of person that you would like to preside over an important matter impacting on your life? If you feel that he is fit to hold office, I would appreciate you sharing your reasoning with us, so that I can gain a better understanding of this matter. If you however feel he is not fit to hold office, I appeal to you to share your views with us and to take appropriate action, even if it jeopardises your career prospects and threatens African values. You may want to consider the content of the Prevention and Combatting of Corrupt Activities Act 12 of 2004 while contemplating your position in this matter.
Look forward to your views on the matter.
» » » » [Letter to Cape Law Society (PDF)]
SA worm farmer fights Dewani extradition
03 February 2011
A GEORGE worm farmer and activist has lodged an application with the Westminster Magistrate‘s Court in London informing it that South Africa‘s legal system is corrupt and that murder accused Shrien Dewani will not receive a fair trial.
Lara Johnstone, 44, said yesterday she felt Dewani would not get a fair hearing considering the public outcry in his case.
“People who have not seen the evidence have already pronounced judgment. Where is the principle of innocent until proven guilty? If he sincerely believes he is innocent, there is no chance that he can clear his name in our courts, which are swayed by public perception.”
Johnstone said she did not know if her application would be taken seriously. She said the clerk of the court had acknowledged receipt of the application.
Dewani‘s lawyers had been informed of her Amicus Curiae (friend of the court) application but had had no response. Anni‘s father, Vinod Hindocha, had also acknowledged her application.
While living in the US, Johnstone joined the cult Radical Honesty, which has as its founding principle telling the truth.
Some of the causes and organisations she has protested for include Greenpeace, Amnesty International, Crack the CIA, Boycott the 2010 World Cup and Justice for Timothy McVeigh (the Oklahoma City bomber).
Johnstone also filed papers in the Constitutional Court during the TRC hearing of Robert McBride dealing with her belief that the TRC did not properly investigate the origins of apartheid. She named 88 media organisations which refused to cover her application because it was “too controversial”, she said.
In 2003 she was jailed for a year for swearing at a George magistrate who refused to have a prosecutor recused who wanted her committed indefinitely.
“The prosecutor could not tell me on what basis she argued that I was insane. When the magistrate refused to remove her from the case, I swore at him and he jailed me for contempt.”
» » » » [PE Herald]
- [Home Secretary & HM Court Svc. Req. City of Westminster's Clerk of Court to Respond to Dewani Amicus Application]
- [‘SA citizens - SA legal system is corrupt - Amicus challenge to Dewani extradition’ - The South African]
- [UK Ind. Party (UKIP) Request to City of Westminster Clerk of Court; RE: Dewani Amicus Curiae Application]
- [Amicus Applic. to Dewani’s Judge: SA is a criminal mafia parasite state: Descartian Jurisprudence does not exist in ‘Rainbow Hypocrisy SA’]
- [Radical Honesty SA Questions to V&A Waterfront: 'Public Relations Censorship & Deception' of Crime in SA, by SA Media]
- [Radical Honesty SA Open Letter to Dewani and Hindocha families: Shrien Dewani has zero% chance of fair trial in South Africa]